Let’s Re-imagine Food and Health in America
Every January I eagerly await the release of Edelman’s Trust Barometer for the state of public opinion where it matters most – TRUST. Trust in institutions – be it government, business, NGOs or media – is the ultimate currency in relationships with stakeholders.
I’m curious about the shifts in trustworthiness and where the opportunities are for change, empowerment, influence, collaboration, and community building lie. And, I want to know who has the greatest opportunity to rise above and be a changemaker. Business is once again seen as the most trusted institution at 61% ahead of NGOs (59%), government (52%) and media (50%).
With trust comes expectation comes responsibility. Society expects CEOs to be the face of change and want societal leadership to be a core business function.
EDELMAN’S 2022 FINDINGS
- Distrust is now society’s default emotion
- Of the studied institutions, business is once again the most trusted
- Government and media fuel a cycle of distrust
- News sources fail to fix their Trust problem
- Fake news concerns are at an all-time high
- There is a collapse of Trust in democracies
- Societal fears on the rise
- Business needs to step up on societal issues
- Societal leadership is now a core function of business
- Business must lead in breaking the cycle of distrust